Skip to content
Potassium Metabisulfite is to be used in wine making to inhibit bacteria growth, too high a dose will leave an unpleasant taste.
- Add 1/4 tsp. per 5 gallons before fermentation for 50 ppm (wait 24 hours to add yeast) and another 1/4 tsp. per 5 gallons before bottling wine (wait minimum 3-4 days to bottle).
- An equipment sanitizing solution can be made by adding 1 Tbsp. to 1/2 gallon of water (requires rinsing after).
- Potassium Metabisulfite is preferred to Sodium Metabilsulfite as it does not add sodium.
- Using granular form of Potassium Metabisulfite requires 3/8 of a teaspoon to equal 5 Campden Tablets which will treat 5 gallons of wine to approximate 75 ppm of Free SO2.
- CAUTION - This chemical can cause an allergic reaction in some people, sometimes a severe reaction.